Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Mosque at Ground zero?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Mosque at Ground zero?

    New York (CNN) -- A leading opponent of a proposed mosque and community center near Ground Zero is asking a question that looms as large as the towers that stood nearby less than nine years ago: "Why there?"

    Pamela Geller, a conservative blogger who leads a group called Stop the Islamicization of America, posed the question on CNN's "American Morning" Wednesday.

    "We feel that it is a cemetery and sacred ground and the dead should be honored," Geller said. "To build a 13-story mega mosque on the cemetery, on the site of the largest attack in American history, I think, is incredibly insensitive."

    Those for and against the proposed mosque butted heads during a passionate three-hour hearing of New York's Landmarks Preservation Commission Tuesday night.

    Officially, the hearing was a forum for testimony on whether the building at 45-47 Park Place, near Ground Zero, is worth preserving. The structure dates back to the late 1850s. Preservation Commission spokeswoman Elisabeth de Bourbon said the building housed the headquarters of the Merck pharmaceutical company in the 1920s and in more recent years served as a discount clothing store. She said she was not sure what the current owner -- the Muslim outreach group the Cordoba Initiative -- has been doing with the building, but people attending Tuesday night's meeting said it was being used for prayer services.
    Video: Mosque near ground zero?
    Video: Outrage over proposed mosque
    RELATED TOPICS

    * September 11 Attacks
    * Manhattan
    * Islam

    The commission is expected to vote in August on whether to grant the structure landmark status, even though the Community Board of lower Manhattan said earlier this month the building wasn't architecturally significant enough to merit the designation.

    De Bourbon said landmark status alone would not prevent the Cordoba Initative from making alterations to the existing structure or making it into an Islamic cultural center. While the designation is designed to preserve the exterior appearance of a building in New York, it does not restrict the use of a building, nor does it prevent a property owner from adding on floors, she said.

    Even if the building on Park Place is declared a landmark, "changes can be made to a landmark building with approval from the Landmark Preservation Commission," de Bourbon said.

    In fact, there are examples in New York where buildings with landmark status were drastically altered. The Hearst Magazine building, a modern 46-story skyscraper in Manhattan, rises out of a six-story Depression-era, Art Deco facade with landmark status. The original design was for a skyscraper, but construction came to a halt when the Great Depression hit. In the latter half of the 20th century, the Landmark Preservation Commission approved a plan to add on the modern skyscraper while preserving the original facade.

    Supporters of the Park Place preservation are opposed to a project by the Cordoba Initiative and the American Society for Muslim Advancement to build their mosque and community center so close to the site where the twin towers of the World Trade Center were destroyed by Islamist hijackers on September 11, 2001.

    The contentious nature of the hearing was expected, because if the commission rules the structure now at the site doesn't deserve the landmark status, the groups behind the project won't need any additional city permission to demolish the old building and move ahead with the mosque construction.

    Voices opposing the mosque dominated the hearing.

    "It would be a terrible mistake to destroy a 154-year-old building in order to build a monument to terrorism," one woman said.

    Some at the hearing, including Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Lazio, expressed suspicion about Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, who heads the Cordoba Initiative. Feisal was out of the country and did not attend the hearing.

    Lazio called for an investigation into its funding.

    "We're asking for a delay in the process to get some answers," Lazio said.

    The heckling and intense nature of the hearing got to be too much for some participants.

    "I'm ashamed to be an American today," said Rakif Gathwari, a Muslim-American, who reminded the crowd that people from many countries and religions died on September 11.

    "I want to prove to this hall that I am a citizen," Gathwari said, holding up his passport.

    Some Muslim community leaders say the mosque could provide an opportunity for improving interfaith relations.

    "We're saying Muslims have a legitimate role to play in the social fabric of this country," said Ibrahim Ramey, the director of the Human and Civil Rights Division of the Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation, on CNN's "American Morning" Wednesday.

    "We are part of the interfaith mosaic of the United States. But more than that, I think this particular group of people in the Cordoba Institute can do a huge amount of good not only for Muslims in New York but also for interfaith relations throughout the country," Ramey added.

    The Cordoba Initiative says it aims to improve relations between Muslims and the West.

    "The Cordoba Initiative hopes to build a $100 million, 13-story community center with Islamic, interfaith and secular programming, similar to the 92nd Street Y," its website says, referring to the cultural institution on the upper east side of Manhattan. The project calls for a mosque, a performing arts center, gym, swimming pool and other public spaces.

    In battle to build mosque near Ground Zero, opponents ask 'why there?' - CNN.com

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    That in a nutshell is why I could care less if I ever step foot inside New York City again.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be one allowed to be put up there, none.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be one allowed to be put up there, none.
    At the very least, it is very insensitive. There are just some things you do not do. It's being put up to make a point, not to promote good relationships among religions. I've only been to New York City once so people that have been more/know more help me out. From what I remember, the twin towers were in a business district. IIRC, they were located in downtown Manhattan. Again, I'm not familiar with New York but I don't recall seeing another religious place of worship in that area regardless of the religion. (I could be way off, it's been 2-3 years since I've been and I hated every second I was there)
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    That's fine. Open up a sausage shop next door.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSilentBob View Post
    That's fine. Open up a sausage shop next door.
    And a strip club on the other side.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 89bluedevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    763
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    I was also there 2 years ago and don't remember that type of building in that immediate area, but I was a little awestruck and emotional from being at Ground Zero. There was one church near the NYSE on Wall Street, but that seemed to be a few miles away. I think it is very insensitive to want to put a mosque in that area, but I wonder if Ms. Geller ,who refers to the site as a cemetery, has any objections to the new skyscrapers which will most likely house businesses in them. If she wants to honor the people who perished then I think it should be done the proper way.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be one allowed to be put up there, none.
    Quite possibly the dumbest post ive ever seen on this forum.

    If you think for one second that's not a slap in the face to every one of the family members of the people who died there on 9/11, then you are a complete and utter moron.

    I'll give you one reason it shouldn't be put up there...they are setting themselves up to get a bomb of their own. Not that i condone it, but lets be honest here...someone, somewhere is gonna be ****ed just enough to say, screw ya'll, you're going down. Just ignorance on their part.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    Did I say that some people won't take it as a slap in the face? No I didn't. I said it wasn't done as a slap in the face to anyone, it wasn't. When people take it as one, they're wrong, sorry. They're mad at the wrong people, the people putting this up and most muslims aren't the ones who did this. It's not intended as a slap in the face to anyone, just the opposite IMO.

    And the scum that would do that would be no better than the scum who crashed a plane into those buildings.

    Like I said, let Christians put up a church next to it and this could be a huge, huge symbol of these religions coming together. I'd completely support that, it'd make me proud to see that. My point is there shouldn't be all of this outrage over it, if this had been a Christian group doing this, it wouldn't be a fraction of an issue though the religion is as much to blame over the tensions between the two.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mosque at Ground zero?

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post

    Like I said, let Christians put up a church next to it and this could be a huge, huge symbol of these religions coming together. I'd completely support that, it'd make me proud to see that. My point is there shouldn't be all of this outrage over it, if this had been a Christian group doing this, it wouldn't be a fraction of an issue though the religion is as much to blame over the tensions between the two.
    First off, I'd like to see Muslims and Christians come together. We Christians are supposed to love after all.

    Second, I have to point out that there wouldn't be a fraction of an issue if a church were built because the men who flew those planes were radical Muslims. I know not all Muslims tick the way Al Quaeda does but because of the Muslim part of their terrorist identity it would be a big slap in the face.

    If there were Christians who went to China and blew buildings up and some of the Chinese wanted a church built I would oppose it too.

    It's just disrespectful to the victims and families.

    If one wants to build a mosque elsewhere in the US then I'm all for it. The First Ammendment gives them that right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •